Friday 5 February 2016

Wool winders: worth buying?

Lately among the crochet community I've seen lots of talk about wool winders. Mainly two questions come up "what's it do?" And "what's the point?"  Many people gave the same answers so I bought one and put it to the test. The average price for a manual crank is around £10gbp not overly cheap for many.

Wool winder in red and cream



First were gonna hit the "what's it do?"
The usual answers I've seen have been along the lines of it making yarn cakes.


Next question is "what's the point?"
Now I've seen a few answers to this. According to the crochet community it saves space because yarn cakes are more compact than balls. This isn't really true. A skein is bigger yes but a ball isn't. What you consider a ball may differ from country to country so I believe the people referring to them being smaller than a ball I believe are using what the uk refer to as a skein. See photo for reference
ball of wool

Skein of wool





Some claims are that it's easier than winding a ball. This is true-ish . It takes me 20 mins to wind a dk 100g ball by hand however it took me 2 minutes (yes I timed myself) to create a yarn cake from a skein, less from a ball. But. There's always a but. It's a pain, I had to use one hand to turn the crank that winds the wool but I also had to hold the arm which holds your strand because it kept trying to pack itself away.

Yarn barf for those wondering 


The other claim is its easier to crochet from. My gosh is this true, usually I find myself fighting yarn barf which takes up so much time that I could be using to complete my wips. The centre pull mean your yarn sits pretty while you work. No more running round the floor after an escapee ball or yanking it's all smooth sailing.

I personally pop an empty toilet roll tube on my winder and make my cake around it so I can now use a free standing toilet roll holder to crochet from, I never lose my centre and my cake doesn't unravel itself. I even slide my label inside each tube so I always know what I have in my stash.

Personally I'm glad I bought one but ill leave you to decide now that your clued in.

No comments:

Post a Comment